This weekend was amazing. This was my first big arena concert and the show was great. The after-party was great. SO much happened! Too much to try to write about in structured paragraphs, so I'll highlight the happenings to hopefully make for an easier read.
This is a long one:
- Friday morning, my friend Summer came down from Dallas for the Destiny's Child concert in San Antonio. Once we got there and got checked in to this amazing Hotel, the Westin Riverwalk, we ate, got glammed up and went to the show.
- Our seats were AWESOME!
- When we got there Amerie was performing This One Thing. She is as perfectly beautiful as she looks on TV. Then Mario came out and got the girls all excited. This was my first big arena concert, so I wasn't sure exactly what to expect. There were a lot of kids there, but many parts of the show were very R rated.
- Beyonce, Michelle, and Kelly did what they do. They "catered" to 3 guys from the audience and Beyonce's guy, George (pronounced horhay) from El Paso, sang to her in Spanish. It was cute. There was this young Hispanic guy sitting across the aisle from Summer and he was definitely a Beyonce fan. He couldn't have been older than 15. I could see the poor baby's was in awe every time Beyonce was on stage...he screamed out the cutest things, "Beyonce, I love you more than anybody!" and "She's so hot!". He and Summer were doing D.C. choreography in the aisle all throughout the concert.
- Speaking of D.C. choreography...after the concert, when we got back to the Hotel, we saw, what looked like the tour manager (we call him Chicken Bone, 'casue the whole time we talked to them, he was chompin' on wings) and Mario's background dancers in the lobby. Chicken Bone saw us looking and was like, "yep, that's them." Summer asked where the party was and he told us Joe's Volcano.
- It was like 1 a.m. and we weren't sure if we were going out, but we figured why not. When we stepped off the elevator back into the lobby, Destiny's Child's female background dancers walked by us. We couldn't believe it! So we walk over and Summer (she's the bold one) says hi and we tell them how awesome they were in the show. They were really friendly and one of them, Aisha, said it was her birthday and she was all excited to be going out.
- The the male dancers from the show stepped of the elevator and it was like everything went into slow motion. Those guys were as good looking as you would expect them to be in person. We couldn't believe this was happening. We were all waiting in the lobby for valet to bring our cars around, so we were just chillin' there...WITH DESTINY'S CHILD DANCERS! One guy, Anthony, came over and shook hands and introduced himself to Summer then to me. Eventually everybody was introduced and our car came and we were like, "see y'all at the after party!"
- We get to the club and the line is crazy long. Then we see a shorter line and Summer goes to investigate...you had to valet park at the club to get in the shorter line and there weren't any more spaces. So we're at the end of the long line, it's like 1:30 and there is no way we're getting in...the place is filled to capacity and it's like a 2 out-2 in thing going on and we knew we weren't gonna make it in. Summer goes back to the valet line which is empty by now and talks to the guard...not one minute passes and she's flagging me over from the back of the 'we're-never-gonna-get-in line and INTO THE CLUB! I gained a whole new respect for my girl that night. She knows how to make things happen.
- We had a great time. (Although the music sucked...the DJ kept playing all this rap and no real songs you could dance to...there were kids practically making babies on and off the dancefloor, and lots of smoke, but it was an experience.)
- In the interest of not incriminating certain individuals, the following events will be generalized and abbreviated: When the male dancers finally came out of the VIP section music continued to play and the professional dancers danced amongst the non-professional dancers, whom they recognized from a previous meeting.
- We got back to the hotel at almost 4 a.m. and rehashed the whole night to make sure it all really happened.
- The next morning, I got up a bit early to go out on one of the balconies in the lobby to read. [When we got there the day before, I made a mental note to experience reading in the morning on that posh balcony...overstuffed cushions on overstuffed sofas and chairs under ceiling fans and overlooking the canal.] So I was out there reading and Summer woke up and realized I had left the room and came down to the lobby and who else is there checking out...D.C.'s dancers...who still remembered the night before and were like what's up...
We didn't get to meet the headliners of the shows, but we went to the concert, met with the dancers on the way to the after party, at the after-party and at check-out the next morning...when all we expected when we got there was to see the show. I'm so happy Summer chose to make reservations at one of the nicer hotels downtown. It was just one night. And it was totally worth it.
P.S. Thanks for reading my blog! If you don't want to miss the next post, click here to subscribe.